Tuesday, May 8, 2012

This Song Always Makes Me Feel Better

As a counter to my earlier depressing rant, I offer this song: All Creatures of Our God and King. This is without a doubt one of my favorite hymns to listen to and to sing to. I love it anytime it's sung, but I think it is most appropriate when used as an entrance hymn. I remember during one Easter Mass last year, I was a thurifer and this hymn was the entrance hymn. I'll tell you, hearing it on the organ with a full choir, I felt high...spiritually high, like I was so amazingly and ridiculously excited for the Mass. Whenever I hear it, it brings a smile to my heart and helps me to ready it, especially for the Mass. I think this is how the Almighty One should always be praised and glorified and adored. It's just...awesome.

This version, the traditional version, is amazing. This YouTube video, even with the corny slideshow, is an amazing rendition.


What most people don't know is that "All Creatures of Our God and King" was actually translated from St. Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun. So for all our Protestant brothers and sisters...you're welcome...another gift of the Catholic Church. Lol.

Now to be fair, David Crowder has his own rendition of this song as well. From the amount of originally Catholic hymns that David Crowder uses, he should convert to Catholicism. Of course, this version has a bit of a more modern feel to it, but I think it goes to show, that Christian music, no matter what its form, can be beautiful. But being the traddie that I am, I still love the first one more. Here's David Crowder's version:


Either way, this song always makes me feel better, as most hymns do. I hope it does the same for you!

Pax vobiscum.

No comments:

Post a Comment