Thursday, May 3, 2012

I Love (Episcopate) Ordination Masses!

Together with the whole Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, the second metropolitan see of Texas and my home, and Holy Mother Church, I rejoice at the Ordination of Bishop George Sheltz as Auxiliary Bishop of Galveston-Houston.

Auxiliary Bishop Sheltz,
smiling with Emeritus Archbishop Fiorenza,
after receiving his mitre and crozier. 

Even though we had Emeritus Archbishop Joseph Fiorenza and Retired Auxiliary Bishop Vincent Rizotto (who confirmed me), it's about time Cardinal DiNardo got some help...after all, the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston is huge!

Here is the video of the Ordination Mass. I love watching Ordination Masses. So many Knights of Columbus, Peter Claver, Order of Malta, and Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre (and associated Ladies and Dames), religious, seminarians, deacons, priests, bishops, and just so many lay faithful in general. But most of all, I love them because of their very purpose: ordaining a (hopefully) humble and priestly man to the Order of Bishops, who receives the fullness of the Sacrament of Holy Orders, and therefore becomes a successor to the Apostles. Holy Mother Church rejoices in this, and so do I!

Other than the beauty and grandeur of the Mass, which took place in the equally beautiful and grand Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, it is always a pleasure to listen to one of His Eminence's homilies. I remember when we talked about Athanasius and Arius during my Christian Heritage class (required at Baylor), and I wish Cardinal DiNardo was my professor at the time. It would have been much more engaging...and I'm sure it would have given the Baptists a run for their money (LOL!, I love the Baptists...well...some of them).  

Auxiliary Bishop George Sheltz is a native Houstonian, so the Archdiocese feels (I think) doubly blessed to have a native son as its new Bishop. He has served at numerous parishes, and was the founding pastor of my own home parish, Christ the Redeemer. Woo...bragging rights! Lol. 

My prayer for Bishop Sheltz is this: That by the grace of God the Father, the mercy of Christ the Son, and the strength of the Holy Spirit, he may lead the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston with love, charity, and faithfulness to the teachings of Christ and of the Catholic Church. That he may always remain obedient to Holy Mother Church, and faithfully and strongly defend her against both inner and outer heresy and attack. That he may fulfill his episcopal duties to the best of his abilities, always with the help of God. And that may serve as an inspiration to the people of Galveston-Houston and the whole Church. 

From a humble college student at Baylor University in the Diocese of Austin, Church of Central Texas, congratulations to Auxiliary Bishop George Sheltz of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston on his ordination. God bless him always!

Dominus vobiscum.

No comments:

Post a Comment