Friday, April 27, 2012

Extra Credit: Pilipinong Katoliko

This was Spiritual/Cultural Autobiography for my World Religions class. I thought it was fairly decent and insightful. It took me awhile to write it, but my prof seemed to like it too. I thought this cartoon is pretty hilarious too. Read it after the jump.




Pilipinong Katoliko is Tagalog, my native language, for Filipino Catholic. These two words have come to define me, in the most intimate sense, and define every fiber of my being. Simple and mundane as these two words are, they both carry with them such tremendous weight, at least for me, that at times it seems difficult to live up to their meaning. To me, being a Filipino Catholic goes beyond just merely stating it, as if I were stating simple fact or checking a box on survey. Being a pilipinong katoliko, to me, also goes beyond outsider perception, even the seemingly insider perception of a fellow Catholic. It goes beyond cultural heritage and faith, more than stereotypes and expectation. Filipino Catholic is more than just two separate words used as description and characterization; it is more of a singular, unified idea that is essential, even necessary, to who I am. It is me and I am it…a Pilipinong Katoliko.
It is interesting, at least to me, to think that I have not always been this way. I have not always been so fervent in associating with being Filipino or Catholic, much less been so passionate in attempting to convey the two as an idea of being. A miracle baby as my parents put it, I was born in Tripoli, Libya, much to the surprise of my parents, who were working there as contracted nurses. My parents, both from strong Catholic and rather poor, large Filipino families, did not want to wait to leave the country to have me baptized. I was baptized in small Catholic missionary church by a one Italian Father Silvestre. It was only much later in life did I realize the significant act of being baptized in Libya, instead of waiting to go back to the Philippines a year later, since I learned that Libya, a predominantly Muslim country, was not the most welcoming of Christians. Growing up, for a little while in the Philippines, New York, and finally Texas, my parents did not shy away from my Filipino culture and heritage, and raised me and my two younger brothers thoroughly in it. Luckily for me, they were not afraid of speaking Tagalog in the home, unlike many other Filipino parents, who for justifiable reasons, wanted to avoid speaking in the mother tongue in order for their children to more easily assimilate into the American culture. For Filipinos, much of the culture of the Philippines, a syncretic culture that draws heavily on native, Spanish, Chinese, and Malay influences, is deeply related to the language. But what was more important to my parents, more than language and tradition, was faith. The Philippines is the largest Catholic country in Asia, and even though the percentage of Catholic in the country has decreased over the years, the Church maintains great influence in the culture and the people. Growing up, we would pray together as a family, every night. There is not one single night in my memory where my brother (and much later brothers) and I did not pray an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and a Glory Be before bed. And as we drifted off to sleep, my parents would pray a full rosary over us. The rosary became like a lullaby to me, and when I grew older, I was able to pray it with my parents. Even now, when I go home, we still pray the rosary together as a family. We went to Mass every Sunday, attended most Holy Days of Obligation, refrained from meat on Fridays during Lent, dressed up for Easter, went to Midnight Mass for Christmas, and any other typical Catholic point of faith. With the exception of a few Filipino traditions and the misa (Mass) being in Tagalog, being Catholic in the States was not too different from being Catholic in the Philippines, at least so I thought. As I matured, I was able to appreciate my culture and my faith more, and it was only then that I realized being a Filipino Catholic, a truly devout one, was much different from an American Catholic. Coming into this realization, I thought there was a significant amount of spirituality missing in the American Church. My friends in Religious Education did not pray every night with their families, and many did not always go to Mass. Even more thought it crazy to go to Mass at midnight. My family would always hold hands during the Our Father and others would not. My faith, both then and now, was always family-centered and spiritual. This, I realized, stemmed largely from being Filipino, where the family is the singular most crucial aspect of society. Everything revolves around the family for a Filipino: the joys and struggles of one are the joys and struggles of all. This extended into the faith. My experience of the Catholic faith growing up was so much more different than my American peers because I was/am Filipino. The influence of the first Catholic missionaries to the archipelago all those years ago played such a great influence and ingrained itself so deeply into the culture, that even nowadays, born-again and converted-from-Catholicism Filipinos display aspects of the Catholic faith in their daily routines and everyday words because it has been a part of what it means to be Filipino. Over the years, my culture and my faith have played off of each other, strengthening each other within me, becoming more and more intertwined. There was a time, when I was much younger and much more naïve, that I thought being Filipino and Catholic were two inseparable things: that all Filipinos were Catholics and that all Catholics were deeply spiritual and devout. Having grown up and more cognizant of the world, I know this to be untrue. However, at least within me and within my family, that idea is very true and very much alive. I am not a Filipino who happens to be Catholic, nor a Catholic who just happens to be Filipino. I am a Pilipinong Katoliko, proud and devout. It is more than culture, more than faith, more than characteristics. It is who I am, how I live my life, how I interact with others, and how I hope others remember me. Ako ay isang Pilipinong Katoliko, salamat sa Diyos. (I am a Filipino Catholic, thanks to God).

Kahit saan nandoon ang mga Pilipino, ang katapatan sa Diyos ay dala-dala ng Pinoy.”
(Wherever the Filipinos may be, they bring with them their loyalty to God).
                                                 ---Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales, Archbishop of Manila

No comments:

Post a Comment